Monday, February 25, 2008

Disclaimer about previous post

In my previous post on Utah Midwives I posted something written by the midwife, Elizabeth Smith, CPM, LDEM, not realizing she was the midiwfe "Lizz" I had heard about from so many broken hearted and damaged mamas.

A friend of mine who is VERY active in the local Southern Utah birth community was quick to point this out. While I agree with what Lizz wrote about the bill I now have an issue throwing her up on my site as an "authority" when she is actually nothing more than a Med-wife and no friend to home birthing mamas.

Now, what I want to stress is that I don't want to "spread rumors" but the practices of this medwife, Elizabeth Smith, CPM, LDEM, are dangerous and I do not want anyone reading my blog to think that I endorce her as a birth proffessional. Quite the opposite.

- She reaches her hand inside a laboring mama and has them push when they are not fully dialted, thus causing great pain, scar tissue and danger to both mom and babe.

- She has carried and used pitocin before and after it was legalized. This is a highly dangerous drug to use especially at home.

- She takes on 25 birthing moms, per month, thus often missing births and stays for only 45 minuites post birth and does not make sure the mom has peed or that breasfeeding has been established

I cannot say this is what she practices 100% of the time but I personally know several moms in which she has practiced these methods and even one time is too many if you ask me.

Again, this is not about spreading rumors, it's about me making sure that people have both sides of a story and can make more informed choices about their births.

Edit Note: I want to be clear that this Lizz lives in Utah and is not the Lizz from Oregon who regularly visits this blog. I've gone back through emails from a few different friends and this midwife Elizabeth is reffered to in them as both "Liz" and "Lizz" so I'm not sure which is correct.