Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bathing in the Arms of the Water Goddess

What is it about a long car ride that leaves you drained?

Seth says that it's the fact that one must concentrate and stay in an heightened state of awareness while keeping the body drastically confined. Whatever it is I had it in spades today - the car trip blahs.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



We traveled to Palo Alto for my thesis committee meeting where my professors signed off on my graduate work (hooray!). I was so trilled to hold that paper in my
hot little hand. Amazing how this one paper links me to a chain of
scholarly women who have worked since the 1940s to uncover the sacred
feminine. I wastaught by Vicki Noble, who was in turn taught by Marija Gimbutus. I'm privileged to now be the 3rd generation of scholars in the field.

The trip was draining. Seth doesn't drive so it was me at the wheel, 5 hours down, 5 hours back. We thought we wold only have money for gas but at the last minute Seth got paid for a job so we had dinner money.

We were so gleeful at the idea of a family dinner out. We wanted to stop in the Mission district for our favorite Ethiopian but the kids were asleep when we passed the Mission so we pressed on and decided to stop in Santa Rosa. We asked
around at Trader Joe's to find out what was the best family pizzeria.
We were directed to LaVerra and for a very reasonable rate we enjoyed mouth watering pizza pie with olives, mushrooms and pineapples.

By the time we stumbled through our front door around 7 PM we had been out for 12 hours.

*Deep Sigh*

The kids had been sleeping most of the way so going to bed wasn't an
option. I sat for a moment in my favorite chair and tried to summon an
idea.

Something peaceful
Something simple
Something cleansing

A bath!



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



I drew a warm bath and Nykki, Ronan and I stripped down and hopped in. The balmy water immediately released my tight and tired muscles and I found myself slipping into the altered state of the tub.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...." We sang out.

"You make me happy, you guys are great!" Nykki balled out his version.

Under buckets of toasty water and lavender soap bubbles we scrubbed and rinsed away the weary day.

Something magickal happens in water. So I began to sing...

"Yemaya of great waters, Yemaya of the sea, oh Yemaya!"

Nykki jumped right in...

"Yemaya of great waters, Yemaya of the sea, oh Yemaya!"
"Yemaya of great waters, Yemaya of the sea, oh Yemaya!"



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



The water Goddess adored and carefully cradled every curve of our bodies.
We emerged newly baptised, ready for an evening of fresh,lavender smelling cuddles under blankets with new library books.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket