Monday, May 10, 2010

I Have the Life Skills of a Pre-Industrilized Society 8 Year Old


I had the benefit of going to really great schools with dedicated teachers and advance placement programs that held my interest. I was an excellent student and graduated with honors from an International Studies program. When I was in the system I felt so smart. I was learning foreign languages, could name the capitals, and could discuss important events in world history. After leaving high school however I found out I knew NOTHING about the real world.

I couldn't balance a check book, I couldn't figure out a credit card statement, couldn't garden, knit, or sew. I had no idea how to properly wash a car or the best way to keep my home tidy. I couldn't change a vacuum bag, type worth a darn, or build anything . I had no idea what even made a car run (other than gas) let alone how to service a car or even change a tire.

I didn't know how to change a diaper, how to burp a baby, how to naturally avoid pregnancy or how to naturally increase my fertility. I didn't know about breastfeeding, birthing, or how to take care of young children (despite my Girl Scout badge to the contrary).

I especially couldn't cook. I knew how to make crepes from a trip to France and I could get some pasta boiling and open a can of veggies but that was the extent of my skills. When I first lived on my own I had to buy pre-cooked chicken and canned potatoes because I had no idea how to cook either one.

At first something seemed missing in my life but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, so back to school I went. I earned a Bachelors degree in German and Anthropology. Score! Now I could translate German websites or set up a museum display but dang it if those skills STILL didn't improve my life (or even my job prospects).

In my mid 20s I set out to learn "real" stuff. (Being a school junkie at this point though I still also got a Master's degree, old habits die hard). It has taken me three years to get to the level of knitting I can do now (which is still fairly basic). I can barely find my way around a sewing machine and I still struggle with gardening (when my brilliant husband isn't helping me out with it).I am still learning how to cook on a camp fire, how to fish, how to crochet, how to care take live stock, and how to chop wood.

What can I do? I can cook really well these days and after many years of studying I understand how credit scores work and how to improve mine. I can make a pair of pants and I rock at all things baby, birth and child care related. I can find my way around herbal medicines for my family, make my own soaps and hand wash my clothes, among other things.

The most interesting thing - I don't remember a dang thing I learned in school that I didn't WANT to learn already. Seriously. Yet, it has taken me over half a decade to catch up on the basic living skills that I should have known by the age of 8.

In my opinion it's time for us to pull our families out of the institutions who have sought to replace the family (most notably public schools) and return to real life skills as the foundation for the education of future generations.

"Let us build a house where love is found in water, wine and wheat; A banquet hall on holy ground, where peace and justice meet."
From, All Are Welcome by Marty Haugen