Monday, July 28, 2008

The New Knitting



The New Knitting: This Is Not Your Grandma's Arts & Crafts

By Anneli Rufus, AlterNet. Posted July 28, 2008.

To casual observers it may look like adults making toys and keeping them, but embroidery hoops and homemade clothes are officially cool. Read the full story here

I don't know about homemade things being cool or not - I don't much care about "cool" - but what I do know is that learning to knit and sew are parts of the revolution. Instead of complaining that everything is made in China I decided a while ago to learn how to make my own clothes. I encourage everyone to do it (I'm looking your way my few male readers :)) I know it's not easy. I don't have an elder to teach me these things so I've been piecing it all together slowly over about 10 years now but when it comes down to it, I can knit a sweater and I can sew clothes for myself and my kids.

This is why when the end of the world comes, Mormons will survive and not just because of their food storage - it's because they continue to teach their children to sew and knit, to not rely on others for the basics but to know how to do for yourself.

I took my power back - I knit - take yours back too!