Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fresh Flower Care, Keeping Them Alive!



Yesterday after Homespun Homeschool Network park day, the kids and I stopped by a field and picked some wildflowers. This orange poppy is Papa's favorite so we place them in some water and sat them on the computer desk for him. When he came home from work it was a happy surprise!

I'm a fresh flower junkie and I relish in keeping them alive as long as possible. Here's my flower care tips:

Place the stems, one at a time, under water in a bowl or the sink.
Cut the flower stem at a slant, under the water. This prevents the flower from "gulping air" and getting an air bubble stuck in it's stem.
Place the flower(s) in fresh water mixed with a few tablespoons of Sprite or 7Up.
Clip the stems and change the water every few days.

I've literally kept roses alive for months with this trick!