Saturday, April 17, 2010

"From Each According to Their Ability...

...to each according to their need." This phrase is a slogan popularized by Karl Marx in his 1875 "Critique of the Gotha Program." It basically summarizes a communist system of government.






Communism like any form of government has it's pluses and minuses, it's benefits and it's extremes. Anyone who reads my blog often knows I'm not a communist or a Marxist, in fact I don't really believe in government at all simply because I don't think millions of people can be ruled or dealt with fairly from one centralized "head."

So why am I talking about Marxist slogans? Because I think that this slogan, when applied to the family and our immediate community, works wonders.

From each according to their ability...

Within the family each member gives what they are able. Papa works full time, Mama runs the home, the children have chores and schooling, the baby eats, sleeps and gives incredible smiles.

...to each according to their need.

Everyone gets what they need. Papa gets the biggest serving at dinner, the oldest child gets a bike first, etc. Papa might need nicer clothes for work, the baby gets hand-me-downs.

In our family we have chores for everyone and I don't play the "I didn't make the mess" game with my kids. We all live together, we all clean together - the end. We also share ALL the toys. No one has "special" things that they don't have to share. We all take turns.

The interesting thing is, that I don't think my family is that unique. I think most families live this "Marxist" principle in their homes. No one is letting grandma starve in the "free market" of their home simply because she can longer cook for herself. No one is letting the baby wear stained clothes because he can't do his own laundry.

On the flip side I don't think it's healthy to let kids, or anyone able-bodied, to coast through life in a family with no responsibilities. I know parenting philosophies which allow a very wide "development" space for children. The child does nothing until he is "ready." However all I have seen that lead to is a ten year old throwing a fit when he's asked to pick up his socks. He should have been picking them up since he was two.

For my Christian, Mormon and Christo-Pagan readers I challenge us to take it one step further. In the Bible we are all called to be a family in Christ.

1 Cor. 12:12,27; Rom. 12:5; Col. 3:15; Eph. 4:4 All speak to the fact that we are the members of the one body of Christ, supernaturally linked together.

Therefore, does it not make since that at the very least our local spiritual community should function as our family community does because they are also our family? And why would we stop there?