Sunday, January 20, 2008

Toy List

Here's a letter I'm sending out to friends and family who buy the kids gifts. I thought I would share since I know alot of you who read this probably find yourself in a similar situation.


Dear Friends and Family,

When I was pregnant with Nykki I created a list of things that I didn't want people to buy for my child. This list reflected a natural approach to childhood with a play landscape rich in imagination. When I first sent this list it upset many people. As the years went on, my life changed dramatically. My divorce from Nykki's biological father, my move to Utah, my move to California, my partnership with Seth the birth of Ronan, etc. Along the way I let things slide regarding my toy philosophies for one reason or another. A lot of the time I gave in because of money. I didn't have the luxuary of buying the all natural toys and I was drawn in to buying cheaper things because of low prices. Most often the reason rested in the fact that I did not want to further upset family members and then as Nykki grew older and he wanted things he saw in stores and my mother-heart gave in.

I remember once allowing him to buy a Disney singing Little Mermaid baby princess doll because I was so thrilled he wanted a doll (I soon realized my mistake and the doll was "disappeared).

I have come to realize that this approach has led to the difficulty I find now around gift giving. I've been a flip-flopper so people either don't know where I draw the line or they figure they can wiggle past it. Nykki has even questioned my flip-flop stance of occasionally accepting toys as gifts that he knows are not "allowed." So I have dug out the old list, dusted it off, polished it up, shortened it and made a new resolution to follow it.


Guidelines for Purchasing Toys for Ronan and Nykki

1. All Natural

This means no plastic, no chemicals, no unnatural paints or finishes. The only exception being small plastic knobs or joints sometimes found on otherwise natural toys.

2. No China, No Sweat Shops

Only fair trade and/or US or European toys please

3. No Logos / Advertising

No Disney, no Sesame Street, no Pixar, no Looney Toons, Baby Gap, etc. If you are unsure please ask. (the only exception is Classic Pooh, books only)

4. No Batteries

If it takes batteries, if it beeps, honks, lights up, dances, sings, etc. it's banned.

Here are some helpful gift registries and wish lists that you can use online or in-store if you wish to purchase toys, clothing or shoes for the children.

Our favorite List, A Toy Garden! Clothes, Home School Supllies, Books Crafts and Toys!

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=users.registry&act=browse®istry_id=627

R.E.I.

http://www.rei.com/GiftRegistryDetails/GR1668209

Gift Registry number 1668209

Ronan's Amazon.com List

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2QIGBN51VQUY6

Nykki's Amazon List

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/3ETP5CGAVO2RV

Other Websites with no wish lists but great products included;

www.novanatural.com

www.islandtreasuretoys.com

www.etsy.com

When in doubt, handmake them something, that's always the best gift! :)

Blessings,
Ayla