Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Help! I need cat advice!

So most of you know that we got a cat three days ago. The first two
days were great. She was gentle, she snuggled, she seemed to fit right
in. She is two years old, female, spayed, and use to live on an organic
fruit orchard but the other cats picked on her and she needed more
attention than the woman who owned her could give her. So that's why we
all thought she would do well in our family.

Then yesterday we
went to bed and found that she had peed in our bed. We stripped the
sheets, cleaned up made sure to show her the litter box and went to
bed. She poops in the litter box all the time. Then I woke up last
night to the sound of her digging around. I checked and - yep - she had
peed the bed again.

We hauled all the laundry down to town today
and paid 10 bucks at the laundry mat to get it all washed. We scrubbed
the matress with vinger etc. When we got home from the laundry mat she
had peed again right on top of the vinegar. Her litter box is about 2
feet from our bed.

Now the problem is we have a >tiny< home. We have a livingroom/kitchen/dining area, a bathroom and a bedroom, that's it. It's hard for her to hang out in the living room because she has to avoid
my 10 month old all day (they've already had a falling out where he
ended up getting really scratched). I moved all her stuff out into the
hall which means I can't turn my back on my baby or he's eating cat
litter but we obviously can't let her back in the bedroom.

I'm
getting so depressed over it because I love this cat, we've all bonded
with her so much, but we can't afford to pay 10 bucks a day to go to
town and wash the sheets all the time. I read a few things online that
say cats do this when they feel ignored but I show her attention every
second that I can - if she needs more there's no way I can give it,
plusNykki plays with her very often.

I called her old owner and left a message a few minutes ago. Kubucha is technically
at our place for a 2 week sleep over to see if it works out, however it
went so well the first two days we all thought it was fine. I know she
could go back to where she was and it's not a bad set up but I would
feel awful about giving her back.

Also I'm feeling like such a
failure. I feel like I've failed at everything I've tried this year.
The cat was suppose to be a grounded, healing companion, not a source
of more stress, anxiety and self judgement.

Ugh, I'm feeling like crap.