Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween / Samahin Happenings

2008_10100009



This has been one of the most rewarding Samhain seasons ever. The perfect combination ended up being - simplicity, of course! I didn't bust my head against any walls, I didn't hold myself to perfection I didn't tackle a million projects. I choose a few important ways to celebrate the season and tried to keep my schedule as clear as possible otherwise.



Here's some of the fun things we are doing or will do soon:



We went to the local pumpkin patched and picked our own pumpkins, we then carved the of course. There's nothing like harvesting our pumpkin fresh off the vine.



Our homeschool group entered the Pumpkin Fest Parade and we won first place for best float in our division! I can't take any credit for this one it was mostly the effort of other people in the group but I had fun showing up, helping to set up the float and adorning my kids in cute homespun, costumes to wear. It was a lot of fun!



We went to the pumpkin fest, ate a caramel apple and rode the ferris wheel. The key to the pumpkin fest is one treat, one ride and go home before everyone gets cranky. Worked like a charm this year and I spent a lot less money!



We created an ancestor altar in our home. It took only a few hours. We set up some pictures of family who have passed on in our dining room window sill, we then made objects out of clay including skulls, bones and representations of food our beloved ancestors liked.



We are having a graveyard picnic today at 3 PM with some friends from our homeschool group.



Halloween night we are having a party at Nykki's best friend's grandma's house. It's a soup potluck with goulish treats. The idea is classic, simple homemade Halloween. Sure beats trick or treating for junk food my kids aren't aloud to eat or standing all night in the cold and the rain to go through a haunted house or enchanted pumpkin patch. Warm, home based celebrations always leave me feeling resfreshed instead of over stimulated and drained.



Add to that our homemade costumes, which I will post pictures of on November 1st.



What are you up to these Halloween / Samhain days? What is your favorite tradition? Are you dressing up? What will you be? Are you feeling the spirit of the season or are you feeling frazzled?