Monday, February 23, 2009

Zelco lamp for BBQ and Macro Photos?

For a few years in the early 80's I shot hundreds of small tools and devices for a popular catalog company. Anyone that's done this type of close-up and macro photography knows that there's no single lighting set-up that works for all items. Consequently, in addition to my custom built infinity table, giant softbox that floated above the table using a series of pulleys, speedlights under the table to pump light up through the plexiglass, I was always looking for everyday items to help modify or provide spots of light to illuminate a particular demanding product.


Having bought the Zelco LED BBQ Light for my outdoor grilling several months ago, I realized this compact light source would also be great for providing well focused and easily directed supplemental light...if I still was shooting small size product photography.


I'm pretty sure that Zelco probably never thought about this lamp being used for photography lighting, but after fooling around with it a few times over the past month, it confirms my belief that there really are no set rules in what tools you use to light a scene. Sometimes you need to think out of the box when it comes to photography. Also, if this light source were marketed as a specialized photography device, it'd probably cost more than the $49 I paid Zelco. Best of all, now I can use it for both my grilling and shooting pleasure!


(Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image file)