Monday, January 11, 2010

Avington Fife's Birth Story

I woke up at dawn on the 26th of December 2009, with the feeling of a poke at my cervix and a mild "popping" sensation. Then it felt like I was peeing! I jumped up and ran to the bathroom where I did pee but continued to leak clear fluid in dribbles. My water had broken!

I went back to bed with a towel. Seth asked what was up and I told him that my water had just broken. Within a few minutes I started having some contractions but they were very mild. Seth helped me time the contractions, I would say "time" when I was having one and he would write down the time. The boys ran around the house yelling, "Time! Papa, time!" I had roughly 5 contractions an hour and most of the day they stayed very mild.

At noon I was trilled to tune into my favorite radio show "Wait..Wait..Don't Tell Me, the NPR News Quiz" to hear that their guest was George Takei (Sulu from Star Trek) and his quiz topic was child birth!

Around 4 PM I laid down on the couch and prayed to Heavenly Parents that the contractions would please just come hard and quick so I could have a fast labor, I was so ready to be done wondering the house waiting for true labor to start. After that prayer I hopped in the shower and the contractions picked up dramatically.

At this point I started singing through them which was amazing! I mostly sung my favorite U2 song "The Unforgettable Fire" especially the lines:

"Walk on by - walk on through
So sad to beseige your love so
Head on - stay this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I think you know
Come on take me away
Come on take me away
Come on take me home - home again

And if the mountain should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear - no, not I
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after, this love in time
And if you save your love, save it all
Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far tonight "

So, picture it, I'm pacing rapidly because that makes the contractions feel better and I'm singing these lyrics at the top of my lungs. Ha! During one contraction I blurted out "I love babies yes I do! I love babies how 'bout you?" To which Seth and I laughed.

After a bit more pacing I got back in the shower and the intensity around my cervix increased. It was almost a "doubling over" feeling. I told Seth at this point that I didn't want to be doing this anymore. In my mind I didn't think I could be very far along because things were suddenly moving so fast and I thought that I was "wussing out" too early. Seth was so steadfast and encouraging telling me I was almost there.

I got out of the shower and started dry heaving into the toilet. I just LOVE transition, don't you? Not a fan of the vomiting but hey, it means I'm close! I didn't want to have the baby in the bathroom so I crawled out to the living room and laid my head on Seth's stomach. I prayed again to Heavenly Parents "Please let me be pushing, I'll give anything to be pushing." With the next two contractions I felt a building "pushing urge"!!!

I got on my knees and bent over a dining chair, gripping the back of it with my hands. Now I was pushing! I literally felt a spreading sensation as his head descended into the birth canal. With the next push I could feel my hip bones sliding apart. I remember thinking "this is so cool!" I felt like massive tectonic plates were shifting inside my body. With another push his head was at the gate.

I told Seth, who was behind me, to get Nykki (Nykki had wanted to catch) Nykki and Ronan came out of the play room and stood behind me with Seth. With a push the head was out. Seth said "Oh babe, it's head is out! Look boys it's head! Oh it's moving it's mouth!" There was so much love in his voice, so much joy, that I know that was the best moment of my life! My most cherished of all memories.

Seth said to Nykki, "Come here and catch it." But Nyk was a bit overwhelmed so with the next push out came Avington Fife into Papa's hands. I spun around and scooped him up. A boy! My three Charmed Ones! My Dumbledore's Army! My Fellowship of the Ring! My Scooby Gang! I thought Avi was so small, his coloring was peachy, his hair and eyes a hazel brown.

Avington Fife Serenemooon-Israel was born at 7 PM, December 26th 2009. He was 7 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long. My smallest babe. A Capricorn, Leo rising, Taurus moon.