Sunday, August 9, 2009

K-7, FA 77mm and Skin Tones

I saw Yvon Bourque this past Thursday in Redondo Beach. As usual, after talking about the K-7 and his new eBook, our conversation naturally switched to how our tomatoes were doing this summer. As I mentioned to Yvon, we've had a fairly cool summer, with an extended period of mornings with fog (marine layer) on the coast in San Clemente. Tomatoes, for anyone that grows them, know they love plenty of sun and hot days. As a result, my plants this summer have been slow to produce full fruit.

However, we're just starting to pick fairly mature fruit, so in keeping with my present fascination with the FA 77mm Limited, I used this lens to take a few photos of the first fruit from my Japanese Black Trifele plant. This is my first year planting this variety and as I'm told the Blkack Trifele is a big juicy 6 -10 ounce pear-shaped, deep purple-black tomato with pretty green shoulders. In Russia the Trifele varieties of tomatoes--of which there are several colors--are highly prized and command high prices.

Since my grandson was helping me in the backyard, I took a quick head and shoulders casual portrait of him so you could see how the K-7 and 77 handle skin tones - both tomato and human (smile).

All images shot RAW at ISO 400. Processed in CS4 to produce jpegs for posting here on Blogger. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger file.