Sunday, November 19, 2006

A few K10D snapshots

My K10D production unit arrived Saturday morning, just in time to take it with me to the San Diego Photo Expo. I met quite a few fellow dpreviewers who were some of the first to buy this camera in the US . Today was a blur as I had to fly back to Denver in the afternoon. So the only time I had to try out the K10D was with my wife on our power walk down the beach in San Clemente to pick up the Sunday paper. Images shot with the 50mm f/1.4 in RAW at ISO 200. There's really nothing special about these images, however I was shooting in very bright sunlight and I wanted to see how the camera handled exposures and dynamic range. I shot in AV mode at f/8.0 and let the camera meter without any EV adustments on my part. Histograms were nicely distributed and there's good detail in the shadow areas. The surfing shot is interesting especially if you look at the rays of light falling across the shoulder of the surfer, and then the shadows around the board. The shot of my wife in her Peets hat was in direct and extremely bright sun...consequently her shirt is pretty blown out, but the detail in the hat and hair is pretty nice. (Note: if you're using FireFox, you can click on the images in my blog to see a larger file.)