Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26, 2011 – New Follicular Lymphoma Treatment Guidelines

Here are a couple of big changes in standard treatment guidelines for follicular NHL. According to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Rituxan plus Bendamustine (a single chemotherapy agent) is evidently replacing R-CHOP, the cocktail of Rituxan plus four chemotherapy agents I received, as the standard, first-line treatment. Bendamustine is more easily tolerated and doesn’t typically lead to alopecia (hair loss).

There’s also a change in the NCCN-recommended treatment for relapsed follicular lymphoma: Rituxan maintenance and chemotherapy followed by radioimmunotherapy.

If I were presenting as a newly-diagnosed NHL patient today, I don’t know if this new first protocol would apply to me; nor do I know, were my NHL to come back with a vengeance, if the second option would be what Dr. Lerner would order up. That’s because my initial diagnosis was not follicular, but diffuse-mixed-large-and-small-cell. The small-cell type I now have has many similarities to follicular lymphoma, but it isn’t exactly the same.

Still, it leads me to wonder if this news story is significant for any treatment I may one day need.

It’s interesting for me to hear that both Rituxan maintenance (that’s Rituxan administered not only along with chemotherapy, but also on its own, as a monthly maintenance infusion over a couple of years) and radioimmunotherapy (Bexxar or Zevalin) are moving up in the medical world. I've written about both of these in the past, as I've become aware of discussions about their possible usefulness. Now these treatments seem to have moved to the head of the pack - at least for follicular lymphoma.