Monday, April 16, 2007

"Pancake" Travel Bag

Any photographer that's honest with themselves will admit to another addiction besides lenses. In my case, I've struggled with CBO (camera bag obsession) for many years, and as my wife likes to remind me, it seems I have more bags in my closet than she does.

In response to the frequent posts on various forums by folks asking what is the ideal "travel" bag, let me give you some advise. There is none. Selecting a camera bag involves so many variables that it's unlikely you'll be able to find and live with one bag for long. Manufacturers know this and that's why we're overwhelmed with what seems like an never-ending selection of slightly different bags to test our will-power.

I've been doing alot of travel with my K10D, and have been struggling with how to travel light...only carrying my three "pancake" lenses (21mm, 40mm, 70mm) and my must-have 50mm f/1.4. Having done alot of travel in the past with Leica rangefinders and three Summicron lenses, I've been using my Billingham "Hadley" case.

I just arrived in Tokyo, and as usual, could not sleep through the first night. So rather than do my Bill Murray impression of "Lost in Translation", I brewed some coffee and took a few photos of the bag for anyone that's interested in seeing the Billingham. It's a beautifully crafted bag using high-quality canvas, leather trim and a nicely designed padded insert. The bag measures approximately 14.5"W by 5" D (when full) and 10" H. As I like to switch lenses frequently, I configured the insert so I can store the K10D body in one pocket and all the lenses in the larger side of the insert. In addition to the body and lenses, I can easily pack the K10D battery charger and cord, a large Giotto blower, a small pouch with all my SD cards, and a 360 flash just in case I need some extra light.

I realize this bag might be a bit too large for those of you that want to go very minimal with just enough space for a body and one lens. That's ok. I've been happy with this set-up for my recent travels. And remember, only you can determine what's the right bag for your needs. Enjoy the obsession!